I am currently in the school library during my spare period, I am freezing, and I have just completed my homework for my psychology class, in which I had to read a paragraph or so from a piece entitled "Humans Are Born Violent" by Sigmund Freud. Reading this encouraged me to find out more about this famous Freud guy and what he thought.n First of all, children are sexually attracted to the parent of the opposite sex while hating the parent of the same sex? Okay, interesting.
I just read this:
The actual method of treatment pioneered by Freud states that when a hysterical patient was encouraged to talk freely about the earliest occurrences of her symptoms and fantasies, the symptoms began to abate, and were eliminated entirely she was induced to remember the initial trauma which occasioned them.
I don't know how I feel about this. First off all, I'm not liking this Freud guy very much. I first heard of him in one of my favorite movies [Girl, Interupted] in which one of the main characters says, "That's why f*ckin' Freud's picture's on every shrink's wall. He created a f*ckin' industry. You lie down, you confess your secrets and you're saved. Ca-ching! The more you confess, the more they think about settin' you free."
I suppose that quote is basically right. I do think therapy helps, but it does not take a professional. Talk. That is it. That's the grand idea Freud manifested? Wow.
However, I do believe people do repress a lot of memories, memories in which, even if not remembered, can affect their adult personality. I know I have suppressed many memories. Every now and then I will get a flashback [literally] and be reminded of certain things. Then there are other things in which I remember doing, but I don't know what my mindset was at the moment. Like doing drugs.
I remember doing them, physically. I recall looking and asking around for them. I remember buying them. I remember crushing pills with razors and random cards, making sure no one could see, even though I was in class at school or in the middle of a mall food court. I remember rolling bills or stealing straws from stores to use to sniff pills. I remember the rush. I remember the comedown, the sleepless nights, the sickness, the headaches, the chemical burns in my nostrils, my heart pounding, feeling like I was going to die, being told by doctors in the ER I would die. What I do not remember is what I was thinking. What was wrong with me? How could I have done that? And that was only 3 years ago. The rest of my life before that has years of which I can not recall. And so, I wonder if anything from the past that I don't readily recall affects me now. I almost don't want to know. It would be cool to find out though, maybe, maybe not. I can live my life without knowing
Swipt Detector Gestures Android
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment